connect with others at our fun events
WE NEED YOU!
Whether you can help for a couple hours at one event, or would like to involved all year long... we need you! Our Washington PTA is only as good as the volunteers who generously donate their time and efforts to support our children's school. Whether you're new to Washington or just new to the PTA, we are eager to help find a way for you to contribute to your child's education. Together we can do so many things!
Programs and Events
The Washington Elementary PTA is committed to the educational success of every child in our school. We take pride in the programs and projects we support.
- Allynna Stone Math & Science Courtyard – The Washington PTA implements plans, planting and upkeep of the courtyard.
- Book Fair – Book Fair is a week long book sale held in the Media Center to promote excitement and enthusiasm for reading. The primary purpose is to put good books in the hands of all students and to supplement classroom libraries through use of teacher wish lists.
- Bus Driver Appreciation Day – The PTA recognizes and rewards our dedicated bus drivers by organizing and delivering special treats on a designated day in the spring.
- Cultural Arts –The PTA works with the United Arts Council to bring a variety of performers to our school, as well as sponsoring the Artists- and Writers-in-Residence program where artists work for several days with students at all grade levels.
- Dedicate-A-Book – This program offers parents the opportunity to buy and dedicate books to whomever they wish. These books are added to the permanent collection of the Washington Media Center. Bookplates with the dedication are included in each book.
- Fall Family Picnic – The WES Fall Family Picnic is a fun social event that offers a great way to meet Washington students and their families.
- Family Math & Science Night – The WES PTA organizes this evening program to promote and encourage interest in math and science. RAMP Up Students from NC State and local science and math professionals are brought in for some very interesting demonstrations and hands-on activities for the whole family.
- Field Day – The PTA assists our Physical Education department to recruit/coordinate volunteers and water donations for Field Day.
- Hospitality – The PTA provides and serves food and refreshments for various teacher, staff, parent and student functions throughout the year.
- Newsletter – Published monthly, the Wizard Words newsletter includes the PTA calendar, highlights and updates about current and upcoming programs and news related to the PTA.
- Reading Programs – The PTA coordinates the “Read Across the Rainbow” Reading Incentive program in cooperation with the Media Center staff.
- Reflections –This annual student art showcase is sponsored by the National PTA. Our PTA volunteers submit student entries and recruit judges in the categories of visual arts, music, literature, photography and dance.
- School Store –The PTA helps students run the school store, which is open 1-2 mornings per week. The intent is to provide children with the opportunity to manage small amounts of money.
- Science Fair – The PTA recruits judges and organizes the Science Fair to help promote interest in the scientific process. All students are eligible to participate. The top 3 finalists, announced during Family Math & Science Night, go on to compete in a regional Science Fair.
- Spirit Nights – The PTA organizes and implements several fun school spirit/pride events throughout the year.
- Spring Fling – The PTA hosts this event which showcases Washington’s physical education, music and arts programs.
- Staff Appreciation – The PTA recognizes and rewards our dedicated teachers and staff during Staff Appreciation week. We coordinate events during that week including our own special “Wizard Spa”, Staff Appreciation breakfast, luncheon and ice cream social.
- Summer Reading Challenge – The WES PTA organizes and implements a summer reading program that encourages all kids to READ over the summer. Recording sheets go home in the late spring and participants are recognized soon after students return to school in the fall.
- Teacher Grants – The Washington PTA is proud to offer the opportunity for our teachers to receive grants to purchase special items for enhanced curriculum. The grants are reviewed and awarded by the chair of the PTA Teacher Grants committee.
- Teacher Start-up Funds – The Washington PTA provides start-up funds at the beginning of every school year for our teachers. This funding allows teachers to purchase additional supplies for their classrooms.
- Vision Screening – The PTA helps coordinate the vision-screening event. In many cases, this is where vision problems are noticed that might otherwise go undetected.
- Ways & Means – The PTA organizes Washington’s major fundraising effort, the annual “Shining Star Fundraiser”, which begins in September. The PTA also organizes passive fundraising opportunities (BoxTops, local merchant card links, etc) in order to finance the programs, events, and services the PTA offers.
- Weekly Readers – The PTA provides volunteers to read with children 30-40 minutes/week in order to foster better reading skills.
- Wizard Wear – The PTA helps to select, sell and distribute “Wizard Wear” to promote school spirit and pride. Wizard Wear is sold at events throughout the year.
- Yearbook – The PTA produces the school yearbook. This committee also works with the school photographer to assist on school picture days. Individual student pictures are taken in the fall while both class and individual pictures are offered in the spring.